Everything Kaye...Be Inspired AT HOME.

 


Welcome back...


Around the world in a cup!






Taking a look at the picture above, we know it's not a typical teacup from China, a Chinese teacup usually holds about 1.01 oz. That's not much to us Americans. These would be considered more of a coffee cup or mugs. The red one on the right, we got as a souvenir when we visited the Indianapolis Children's Museum. We decided to drive over to Indianapolis for the weekend. I had planned out our itinerary. The first night we would go to the jazz festival, that was being held close to our hotel downtown, the second day we would go to the Indianapolis zoo, and finally visit the Indianapolis Children Museum before driving back home. 


When we arrived at the Museum, we found an exciting exhibit called, Take Me There. This year the exhibit was on China. When you walked up to the exhibit you would see a large plane. Then you could board the plane and take a seat. My son took the seat by the window, the window was like a TV screen and it showed you flying into China and you can see the Great Wall of China. This part of the exhibit was the most exciting to him. To be honest I really enjoyed it too! Then the flight attendant tells you that you have arrived,  and you stand up and you leave out the left side of the plane.

  Now you're transformed into a city in China. The tour takes you out to explore the culture of China by preparing meals at a restaurant and more. At our stop at the restaurant the guide explained  to us about the traditional tea ceremonies and showed us the sizes of their teacups. This is when my son proudly stated, that his mom drinks iced tea and she gets in a big cup from the gas station and proceeds to give a demonstration of the size of a 32 oz cup! Needless to say, I was quite embarrassed as everyone laughed.


Tea cup vs Coffee Cup

Teacups tend to be smaller and have wide rims this allows for the tea to cool faster while coffee cup is deeper to keep the coffee warmer longer, and it also holds more.



Mugs

Mugs are larger and usually hold 8 to 12 oz you can drink coffee, tea, or hot chocolate in a mug. These are also typically used to eat soup. 


By the end of a writing day, I usually have five to six in dishwasher. As a writer it's a good idea to have cups or mugs that inspire you and create fond memories as you write. I personally love "novelty" coffee mugs. They make me happy and wake me up! I've noticed a lot of writers typically like to wear t-shirts with sayings or statements, same goes for their coffee mugs. Go figure we love to read everything! But there are times when I need my coffee cup to reflect more of a business vibe, that's when I go with a porcelain or ceramic white mug. As a 40+ person I've started to enjoy sipping tea a lot more, as I get into different flavors and the benefits they have for the body; I plan on buying a set of teacups and saucers. If you are having a gathering like a brunch, floral designs are pretty and feminine but if there's a gentleman present, simple black monochrome is a nice choice. You can add a small flower to the side of the saucer, to soften it up. 

 Right now I use a coaster like most. I also have a set of Crate and Barrel appetizer plates, (they have others with more cities). I tend to set my coffee or my teacup on these with a small muffin or two!

Craft & Barrel Appetizer Plates




Places to purchase teacups with saucers:

Brick and mortar- Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy's

Online- Esty, Anthropologie.com

Budget Friendly- EBay and your local thrift stores


So the next time you sit down to write, tip your cup or mug to your fellow writer!


Be inspired by Everything Kaye!




Comments

Popular Posts