Everything Is Different, Yet In Some Ways Still The Same.



I recently turned 50, but I'm sure you know this already. I've talked about it for the past couple of years. I was excited about this new milestone, but to be honest, the feeling I thought I would have never came. You know that "I've arrived", and an instant increase of wisdom and new keen perspective. But I was also excited to turn 50, because so many of my family members, never make it to 65; and definitely not 70. So for me, every year is a celebration for me.

This year I went on a road trip to visit a friend that had recently remarried and relocated to the south. It was my first time driving alone for a total of 16 hours. It was scary but exciting at the same time. I had time to reflect on my life, and mentally map out what I wanted to see in my future. Also traveling with me for the first time was my dog-Percy(which is my dad's and brother's middle name), so me and my father and brother went on a road trip. It was so peaceful. And my visit was fun! It was great catching up. Funny thing, it was so peaceful and fun, it kinda scared me. 

Not that I was waiting for something bad to happen, it's like o wow! This is what it's going to feel like in the near future, moving through life on my own. My friend was happy to see me(she lost her mother a month before my visit), we kinda convinced ourselves, that I should move there. And I really thought about, especially on my last night there. I really didn't want to leave. But I had to remember I was in vacation mode. You know... vacationing somewhere is not the same as living there. I learned that lesson when I lived in Yellow Springs for three years. 

Once I returned home, I really took time to think about it, without the emotional high of my holiday. I could see that the city was her. It's like when you have meet a couple and say, yeah they found "their person". She found her home, her place. And I'm happy for her, she deserves it. But it's not my place. I'm not a southern person. Besides trips to Disney growing up, I've never really been in the south. And honestly, I hated the FL weather, too hot for me!

Now I do have southern "ways" about me. My parents are from Jackson, Mississippi, but I've only been there once. 

I'm still looking for my place, but right now, I'm happy where I am. This might just be my place, but only another fifty years will tell.

Hopefully this blog will make up for my absence in August, but after my  vacation, I needed a vacation.


Be inspired by Everything Kaye!

Comments

Popular Posts