Family Photos, and Ways to Prepare Keepsakes

 Unless you are famous or part of history, family photos are only valuable to you and your loved ones.  We all know that having a will is very important. It helps your family know what your desires are, and who you want your belongings to go to. But what happens when you die and do not have a will? The state you reside in will determine who gets everything or how it should be divided. And with family photos, it's hard to decide what family member gets what photos.  Will each family member only get photos that they are actually in?  And what about wedding photos,  usually the children come after the wedding, so who gets them? Writing out a letter stating who gets which photos, even though it's not really legally binding, will help the judge know what your wishes truly were.

Albums for my children 


Parent may want to disburse certain items before they die, so that a child can enjoy the items longer, this will also help avoid claims after you die.  Another way to lessen disagreements concerning family photos, is making copies for everyone now, you can make digital or actual prints.  This way you can talk to each family member about what photos,  they would enjoy having as a keepsake. When my mother passed away in 2019, I received some originals and some scanned copies of family photos. What's funny, another family member wanted a copy of my kindergarten class? They only knew me, but loved the photos; just the same. If no one claims your things or landlord illegally throws away or donate your household items. Your family photos they may end up at your local Goodwill, for all to see. Most people shopping at the Goodwill will try to reunite the photos with the family members one way  In hopes of finding the owners (I've seen IG pages dedicated to this).


Sad things is, most are never claimed. If you have photos that are actual prints, please take the time and write the name and date on the back of those photos, so your children and other family members will know who's in the photograph and when it was taken. That will help lost photos, be reunited with your family. If the thought of someone getting their hands on your photos frighten you, you might think about keeping a few that you want and destroying the rest. I know that seems extreme but if  you really don't want your photos out there year after year, with strangers hanging them on their wall        (unless your okay with that). For myself, I've decided to make each of my adult children a photo albums. Getting rid of duplicates and photos I have no clue whose pictured. (Most of my family is deceased, so I have no way of finding out who they are. I know estate planning is difficult, but taking care of this, might give you a sense of relief and accomplishment. Make a goal to do some of the things I've mentioned, over the winter months, so you can gift family members, some family treasures. Besides leaving them personal photo albums, I'm documenting my life through storytelling. My YouTube channel is filled with stories from my life, that my children can listen to, and use as another way to document the family. 

Be inspired by Everything Kaye!

*If you want to hear the story behind the above photo of my parents wedding, head to my YouTube channel.



Comments

Popular Posts